Job Description: Community Chorus Musical Director
Purpose: To develop inspiring choral programming for two concerts per year, lead and enhance choral performance of members
Supervision: Volunteer board of directors
The Randolph Singers is seeking a musical director to begin rehearsals in September, 2014. We are a non-auditioned chorus of from 40 – 60 members in its fourth decade of bringing a wide variety of choral performance to the Central Vermont area.
- To bring the love of choral music and enjoyment from participating in a community chorus to its members through weekly rehearsals.
- To enrich cultural opportunities for the greater Randolph communities by performing a minimum of two concerts annually at nominal cost or by free will donation.
- Based on the performance history & a sense of musical progression the director will propose two programs per year, including an estimated budget for each program. Programs & budgets will be presented to the board at least six weeks before the start of rehearsals. In addition the director will:
- Obtain board approval for soloists and/or instrumentalists hired from outside the Randolph Singers.
- Lead 13 weekly rehearsals plus one dress rehearsal in preparation for 1 – 3 concerts per year. (Occasionally, we perform our spring concert in two locations.)
- Audition, select and coach soloists and small group ensembles.
- Attend board meetings as requested.
- Write narrative and provide all necessary program information to the graphic designer for publication of articles, posters and programs at least one month before the concert dates.
- Participate with the board to write grants as necessary to support programming.
- Participate with board and/or chorus members to produce rehearsal CDs or other teaching aids.
Desired Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- BA or Advanced Degree in Music, with emphasis on choral conducting and/or 4 – 6 years of conducting experience including a variety of musical genres from classical to contemporary with & without orchestra.
- Experience working with a community chorus consisting of singers of varied musical skills and experience.
- Instructional skills in vocal techniques and production.
- Ability to work with diverse personalities, maintain strong leadership and participate as a team with the Board.
If interested please send a brief letter of interest and resume (in PDF format) to
lallenr @ comcast.net
or by mail to
5 Greenhouse Ave., Randolph, VT 05060.
Please feel free to contact me by email or phone (802-728-4262) for additional information.