The Vermont Choral Union (VCU), based in Chittenden County, Vermont, is seeking a Music Director to prepare and direct this small group of accomplished musicians. This is a part-time position involving weekly rehearsal time of 2½ hours with requisite preparation time. Rehearsals are traditionally held on Monday nights. The rehearsal season normally extends from late August through May and involves two concert programs with at least two performances each. Additional shorter concerts are sometimes performed during the Holiday season. The Music Director will choose and procure the music for the performances. The position also involves some administrative responsibilities, including serving ex officio on the Board of Directors.
The Vermont Choral Union is an auditioned, nonsectarian, community-based SSAATTBB group of 30 to 36 volunteer singers that performs primarily a cappella repertoire from the early Renaissance to the 21st century. Our singers currently range in age from the mid-twenties to mid-seventies. Our performance mission is to provide audiences with exemplary performances that entertain, delight and educate. None of the current singers are full-time music professionals, but all are accomplished musicians who enjoy each other, are adaptable, and work hard to deliver excellent performances.
Interested parties can find a detailed job description here.
Anticipated start date: July 1, 2018
Applicants should submit a letter of interest and supporting materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications received by November 30, 2017, will be assured of consideration.
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae with references (including at least one reference from a singer whom you have directed)
- Link to a video and/or audio recording of yourself conducting a rehearsal (preferable) or performance
- List of repertoire that you have prepared and performed as conductor
- Examples of programs prepared and performed by choirs that you have directed
- Any other supporting materials you feel would help to describe your musical interests and conducting accomplishments, such as letters of recommendation, media reviews, etc.
Applicants may be asked to participate in an initial telephone interview with search committee members. Application finalists will be invited to participate in a brief in-person interview with a small panel and have a conducting audition with the chorus.